Welcome!

This blog documents the creative processes of composers Craig Biondi, Alphonse Izzo and Aleksander Sternfeld-Dunn as they compose new works for a concert funded in part through Meet The Composer's Met Life Creative Connections Program in association with the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Since the posts here chronicle a linear progression of a piece's creation, it is suggested that new readers scroll to the bottom of the blog and work their way forward. Enjoy!

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Izzo:Tilly Losch

At this point I've got about 8 minutes of music: Theme/Variation1/Variation2.  My goal is to compose another 4 minutes or so, specifically a slow variation and an ending/final variation.  I find that as I write these variations, I'm matching the music to specific pieces of Cornell's, as opposed to simply trying to communicate the general themes that run through his work.  As such I've decided to use the titles of these works to name each of my variations.

The music in this post is called Tilly Losch, which is the name of a famous ballerina from the early 20th. century.  As you can see, the piece consists of a young girl floating in mid-air perhaps supported by a giant balloon that we can't see, though we can see taut strings behind her.

Electronic realization: 

No comments:

Post a Comment