Welcome!

This blog documents the creative processes of composers Craig Biondi, Alphonse Izzo and Aleksander Sternfeld-Dunn as they compose new works for a concert funded in part through Meet The Composer's Met Life Creative Connections Program in association with the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Since the posts here chronicle a linear progression of a piece's creation, it is suggested that new readers scroll to the bottom of the blog and work their way forward. Enjoy!

Monday, January 4, 2010

Izzo: You Are Here...Again

O.k., so the music that I last wrote about doesn't work, mainly because I it's simply too sappy.
After failing to convince myself that I could work with the music in question, I was reminded by my friend Craig that I can go back and work directly from my original thematic idea. I'd completely lost sight of this due to my desire and panic to move forward, (deadlines will do this to you). 


Based on his sage advice I re-evaluated the theme and wrote a direct response in the form of a first variation. As you'll hear in the clip below, the theme has got a nostalgic, Romantic sound.  The first variation is playful but somewhat abstract; very different from the theme.  The theme to me represents a sort of dream world that I plan on quoting from throughout the piece.  I'm hoping that the juxtaposition of these different styles will make for an interesting formal tension.  

Electronic realization:

No comments:

Post a Comment