Welcome!

This blog documents the creative processes of composers Craig Biondi, Alphonse Izzo and Aleksander Sternfeld-Dunn as they compose new works for a concert funded in part through Meet The Composer's Met Life Creative Connections Program in association with the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Since the posts here chronicle a linear progression of a piece's creation, it is suggested that new readers scroll to the bottom of the blog and work their way forward. Enjoy!

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Izzo: The Murky Lens of Time...

I've decided to divide the piece into two sections:

Theme 
Var. I
Var. II
Theme Redux
Var. III
Var. IV
Theme

The theme acts as a line of demarcation between these sections while also providing a structural touchstone.  I could repeat the theme as a literal repetition at each of these points but I feel that it would be better to alter it in some way at its return.  From a musical standpoint I think it'll make the piece more interesting, but since I'm dealing with the subject of memory, I'm also mulling over how our memories become murky through the lens of time. 

So the real question is who cares?  Why do I need an extra musical justification to make changes to the music?  On a personal level I feel the need to make connections to my own beliefs/ponderings whether they're hidden within the music or not.  Each time I compose it requires a bit of self exploration, otherwise I feel as if I'm just spinning notes without purpose.

  Electronic realization:

No comments:

Post a Comment