Welcome!

This blog documents the creative processes of composers Craig Biondi, Alphonse Izzo and Aleksander Sternfeld-Dunn as they compose new works for a concert funded in part through Meet The Composer's Met Life Creative Connections Program in association with the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Since the posts here chronicle a linear progression of a piece's creation, it is suggested that new readers scroll to the bottom of the blog and work their way forward. Enjoy!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Sternfeld-Dunn: Color and Orchestration

So, as I begin to rework my piece for English Horn and Cello, I have decided that I have some rather interesting music in the middle section of the work. Specifically it's the moment where the Cello and English Horn are in unison. I actually think it's a rather striking moment, and it was conceived to be the climax of the piece. I think that material is interesting and beautiful enough that it would make a great opening.

Here is my dilemma. Should I present it in it's unison state? I want it to occur where it already does in the piece acting like the climax, but will it loose its weight by being up front as well. I'm probably not explaining myself well so let me explain it in another way.

As a composer I would not say I fall into the timbrel type of composer (i.e. early Penderecki, or Early Ligeti), however orchestrational color has become very important to me in the last five years or so. I tend to find colors and orchestrations that I find really interesting and captivating and then save them for dramatic moments. So the question becomes will this unison section be dramatic if that color is presented at the beginning. The follow up question is of course is what makes this material interesting, the color or the pitches?

No comments:

Post a Comment