Welcome!

This blog documents the creative processes of composers Craig Biondi, Alphonse Izzo and Aleksander Sternfeld-Dunn as they compose new works for a concert funded in part through Meet The Composer's Met Life Creative Connections Program in association with the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Since the posts here chronicle a linear progression of a piece's creation, it is suggested that new readers scroll to the bottom of the blog and work their way forward. Enjoy!

Friday, December 11, 2009

Izzo: Variations Of Variations

I jotted down some of the features and themes that I find in Joseph Cornell's work that I believe can give me a little guidance as I write this piece: nostalgia, exotica, ephemera, dilapidated finery, irrational juxtaposition, memory and whimsy.

An idea that came to mind was that each variation could illustrate one of these themes. So, for now I'm working with this game plan though as often is the case,I'll probably need to make Frankenstein-like adjustments.

No comments:

Post a Comment